There are 1000s of golfers on the Costa del Sol. Whether these individuals play as a hobby or play professionally, they could all use some of our therapy tips to improve their golf game and keep injury-free!
If you have golfed for long, you may be familiar with the back and knee pain that can result from golfing. Perhaps you’ve suffered a common golf injury, such as a rotator cuff injury, tennis elbow, golf elbow or tendonitis.
Here are a few of our best tips to prevent these injuries so you can become the best golfer you can be:
1. Walk 20-30 minutes per day — At least four times per week, you should be walking 20-30 minutes per day for several weeks leading up to golf season and during golf season. This may seem inconsequential, but it will get you in shape and help you prevent injury.
2. Use the right equipment — If you aren’t using the right golf equipment, you are running the risk of becoming injured.
“Golf shoes, clubs and golf bags are meant to ease the work, not cause additional strain. Reduce strain by fitting the clubs to the golfer, not the golfer to the clubs. Physiotherapists recommend that golfers choose their golf equipment to match their skill level and body type,”.Get in the Swing for Golf Season
3. Practice your back swing — Every golfer should begin practicing his or her back swing a few weeks before they start golfing. Don’t increase to a full swing until you have practiced waist-level swings for a while.
4. Stretch before and after golfing — One of the most effective things you can do to avoid golf injuries is simply to stretch. Stretching keeps your joints mobile and your muscles relaxed. It also helps you move with ease and improves your game.
5. Start with a shorter club — No matter how good you are at golfing, start with a shorter club at the start of golf season and work up to a longer club. Longer clubs are heavier, so it stands to reason that starting with a shorter club will reduce the strain on your muscles and prevent injuries by allowing you to slowly rebuild strength.
6. Visit us at Elite Performance Therapy ! — If you are serious about becoming the best golfer you can be, why not pay us a visit. We may ask you to demonstrate your back swing, full swing and other stances. Also, you may want to bring your golf gear to your appointment. This will help us teach you to make small adjustments to your postures that can make all the difference to your golf game.
If you are a golfer, perhaps with a golf-related injury or wondering how we can help your game, why not contact us here.